Racing with F2C Nutrition and DG Multisports

Racing with F2C Nutrition and DG Multisports
Photo by Craig Thorsen

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Fresh Cranberry and Walnut Scones

When I tinker with recipes to make them my own, my main goal revolves around making a palatablefinal product that I feel excited--not guilty--about eating. During this time of year, I find myself succumbing to the temptation to indulge in the myriad of treats that make their way into my workplace, parties, and social gatherings. Did I mention my house?

Also about this time of year, I find the scale to be incredibly unkind, though honest, about my weight. Since September, when my rigorous training schedule concluded, I've had to pay very close attention to my portion sizes and the types of foods I choose for meals. 

Recently, I used some PhD Nutrition (recently rebranded to F2C Nutrition) Pharma Whey protein powder in a recipe for scones I created so I could use fresh cranberries I'd found on sale at the grocery store. Generally when baking, I use dried cranberries. Yet I wanted to experiment with the fresh ones since it is the season, after all. 

Bryan often chides me for neglecting to write down my ingredients and in what proportions I use them, especially when I've finally "done it right." Imagine his disappointment when he remembers how his last (insert home made food item) tasted, only to discover the next one tastes different. So, before I forget this recipe, I'll write it down and share it with you if you'd like to try it. Thanks to F2C Nutrition for the important ingredient of added protein to these babies!

Fresh Cranberry and Walnut Scones

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Ingredients
Mix together dry ingredients below:
2 cups almond flour
1 cup coconut flour
1/2 coconut sugar
1 cup flax meal, golden
1 cup F2C Protein powder
1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups fresh cranberries, pulsed (I used my food processor) 
2 cups walnuts, pulsed

In a separate bowl, combine:
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup olive oil
1 quart applesauce
2 tablespoons, vinegar, distilled 
2 cups almond milk, unsweetened

Combine the wet and dry ingredients, and then, let the batter sit for approximately 5-10 minutes to allow the coconut flour to absorb the contents of the wet ingredients. Then, spoon and form "blobs" on the parchment paper, forming approximately 18 later-to-be-called scones :-) 

Bake for 30 minutes and scones are golden brown, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.