Racing with F2C Nutrition and DG Multisports

Racing with F2C Nutrition and DG Multisports
Photo by Craig Thorsen

Friday, June 8, 2012

And so the fun begins...

I had the privilege of waking up to gorgeous, warm sunshine. In addition, the weather report on my phone forecasted much different conditions for tomorrow. At least today's short and easy workouts would leave me with a tan, as there is no way tomorrow's forecast of cloud cover, 70% chance of rain, and 20-30mph sustained winds with 45-50mph gusts were going to do anything for me.
Sunshine and a slight breeze... Maybe tomorrow?

As I look out the window, the sun still shines, the transition bags are packed (hopefully with the appropriate gear and nutrition I will need at each of the two transitions), and my stomach full. We--my Trifusion teammates and me--spent the day getting in our last workouts, checking into the race, ambling through the Ironman center, and checking out the course and logistics of what would take place tomorrow. I woke up feeling confused about how tomorrow would pan out. Tonight, I go to bed exhausted and anxious. Yet having the myriad of people back home sending me encouraging comments, texts, and emails throughout the day really helped ease my fears. Kathi Best reminded me to have fun. Bryan Rowe swears I'm badass. Rosi Guerrero is convinced me just being here should bring fear to my competitors. Jayne Anderson texted me a briefing on how tomorrow should look. Jarod Crooks is confident all our miles in the rain, winds, and hills will pay off. Finally, my mom encourages me that God has tomorrow all lined out, so there remains no need to worry. So I try not to worry.

We started the morning with a light run before checking in and touring Ironman Village. I was drawn to the GU table and met a nice lady I'd recognized by name on Facebook. It's funny how this world of triathlon has required I meet people by text before putting a name to a face. Nonetheless, she kindly gave me a sample pack of GU Brew, Peanut butter gels, and electrolyte tablets. Thank you, Kat! A short bike ride in the sunshine soon followed, and Craig Thoreson and Erica Zeimer did a great job of pointing out things to watch for on the run course. After interspersing a couple of 2 minute pick ups, we were ready for lunch.

Not much time could be spent eating, as we needed to check our bikes into T1. On top of Lucky Peak Reservoir, the clouds let loose just as we arrived. We racked our bikes, checked out the water temperature, and began our trek of the bike course by car. I counted 3-4 hills, mostly steady climbs that hardly compare to Charles hill. Jarod might have been right, though I don't know what they'll feel like with the wind to pedal against, too.

Here is a video of our ride, put together by Dave Erickson. Thank you!
http://youtu.be/hg-pxQtoFHY


David Dennison's father prepared a perfect pre-race dinner of pasta and cooked vegetables. Both David and I have everything ready for tomorrow morning, so now we simply relax. For me, that translates into getting some studying done for the finals I have to conquer upon returning to Spokane on Sunday. Until then, I look forward to surviving tomorrow's race! Thanks to everyone for checking in on me and for the amazing words of encouragement I've received from friends, family, and teammates. Let the fun begin...
On our way up to Lucky Peak Reservoir to
check in our bikes. Notice the rain clouds...

The water in which we'll swim. Relatively
calm considering the winds up there.
Volunteers told us the water temperature is
59 degrees.

I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment